Wednesday, May 27, 2009

We're adults.

"When did this happen? And how do we make it stop?"
~ Meredith Grey

I went to The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Pearl City today and ordered my usual Pure Chocolate Hot despite the fact that it was 93 degrees there. It occurred to me as I waited that I was referred to as Ma'am rather than Miss by the college aged BOY who took my order. When did I become a MA'AM? And why am I so, so very bothered by this?

Perhaps this happened because working in the Studio requires that I wear dress slacks and dress shoes? Perhaps this happened because the Cole Haan purse my mom got for me to hold my piano books in was strapped to me rather than the Jansport backpack I usually have for work? Perhaps this happened because I wore my hair back in a chignon rather than down and flat-ironed to death?

Perhaps ... I am finally old and my age is evident in my face these days? Oh. The. Sadness.

I'm only as old as I feel right? Well, I feel OH EL DI.

Wah. Rant done. .

2 comments:

  1. I have been feeling old lately too. Don't have the same kind of energy as I once did. Need to work on getting that back. Don't mind/notice when someone calls me ma'am. Don't remember ever being call miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are not old. I'm 34 though i tell people that i'm 28. But you gotta play the part too so when the ask me my birthday i'm quick to say May 1, 1981! I have noticed that in my pictures now, that when i smile the lines around my eyes are more pronounced. so now when i smile for pictures, i try to make srue i'm not scrunching up my eyes. hmmm maybe this is bothering me more than i thought...

    ReplyDelete