Wednesday, April 29, 2009

No one I know

that was forced to go to piano lessons as a child, liked it. I hated piano lessons when I was a kid too. I was 8 or 9 and I was sassy to my teacher. I hated her hair, the way she smiled, and the way she didn't change out of her duster to have company over. I hated the smell of her house, that her walkway was riddled with berries that smooshed under your feet, that no one ever bothered to sweep them away, and that the sun never reached far enough under that tree to dry those berries or the sidewalk up. We didn't go there very long, my brother & I, and then she passed away unexpectedly and I never saw her again. I internalized it, thinking I was part to blame for not being a good student. 20+ years later, I remember her house like it was yesterday: particularly, the sun shining through the window those few Saturday mornings onto her ugly red carpet and the old brown upright who's keys were yellowed by time, but I don't remember her name.

I began piano lessons four weeks ago. The plan was to start when I turned 30 but anyway ... fast forward: I enrolled and had my first lesson on April 1st. After lots of practice, and undoubtedly boring my husband and children to tears with overdone repetition, I currently play like this:

Love Makes The World Go Round, Bob Merrill, 1961!
I've still got a long way to go :)

I find a relaxing joy in learning to play the piano that somehow I feel I've been in search of for years. It is a 100% selfish passtime, a distraction, a diversion; all the things I don't choose to have for myself as everyone else's needs come before my own. I lose track of time while I practice, and when I stop sometimes 3 hours later, my arms hurt in the absolute best way possible. It is to say the least, a blessing on my soul.

I bought a digital piano (different from a keyboard) with a full set of hammer action keys and pedals, and while I know the acoustics will NEVER be as glorious as a real piano, the greatest benefit is the option to put on headphones and practice at 8pm or 2am and not inconvenience anyone. I've sacrificed the sound for an ever present opportunity.

My instructor is a crazy old Filipino lady - aren't they all?! - but I like her, she makes me laugh. She ripped me through 23 pages in my book the very first lesson and I thought she was going too fast. It was overwhelming, but I quickly realized that her style of teaching is exactly my style of learning. I expected to learn the same way I did as a child - one hand at a time with repetitive drilling for each finger - no deals. It's all fingers at the same time and both hands! What?! Theory is tough, but I know the ability to read music will be the ultimate reward - all things will be possible then and I look forward to it. So the next time I post a video it will hopefully be something brilliant. But don't hold your breath, it'll be a while!

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! You sound great! I never liked piano lesson either... =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish my parents pushed something on me. i would have had some sort of rock in my life. you're awesome. i wish i had the discipline to learn something now...keeping me on track with school is hard as it gets. soon one day, then we can jam together!

    ReplyDelete