Friday, June 19, 2009

Swine Floozy

Fun tidbits about the swine flu!

I was tested this morning, with a swab at the back of my throat, and the same swab then swept up in my nose as far as it could reach. *gags in all ways possible* Ten minutes later, the little paper thing says I'm positive for Influenza A. What's the difference you ask, between A, B, & Swine? Not much. They're just the mutations of the virus.

Swine flu is a strain of Influenza A. Does that mean I have it? Possibly, but not likely. This translates to = I can't go back to work until the 25th. And can I know if I do have it? Sure, if I'd like to be swabbed again to send a different sample to the Hawaii State Department of Health. Nah, I'll pass. Results for that take 3-5 days anyway, and by then I'll probably be better.

Treatments? Not different from any other flu. Stay home to not spread it, cover your mouth, wash your hands frequently and follow with an alcohol based hand sanitizer, get lots of fluids, and lots of rest = mhmm, like that's possible. I slept horribly last night. I wished for dreamless, satisfying sleep. I got quite the opposite waking every 1/2 hour.

Tamiflu - the prescription for suppressing the mutation of the virus should be commenced within 48 hours of the onset of symtoms and could possibly help me feel better a whole day sooner than without. I hate medicine. But hey, I'll give it a shot. A $20 co-pay better have me feeling better by the time these meds are gone.

So yeah, don't call me a swine floozy. Hahaha, that's kinda funny.

It's the name that's got people all nuts, [swine flu]. Cuz no one really over reacts when you say you've got the flu. But man, I'm suffering. This is THE WORST I've felt in years.

I wish I could find the pink mask with the pig snout on it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment